Rhinebeck Day Trip!

Yesterday morning, Caitlin, Cathy and I woke up EARLY and boogied on down to the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, for one of the most fun filled day trips I have ever had! The sheer number of people and amount of wool and animals is phenomenal... there was amazing knitwear and inspiration everywhere I looked.  I purposefully didn't make concrete plans to meet up with any friends down there but ended up running into LOTS of my internet knitting peeps.  Of course, I'm always so excited by the moment I forgot to take lots of pics, but what a blast!

I also spent some time communing with these guys....

And then I spent a wee bit o pocket change...
Twist and Knit by Miriam Felton, (both signed by the authors), 
a gorgeous 8 oz. of merino roving that Cathy is going to spin for me to use for the colorwork in my Cascabel, and my "impulse" purchase, a hooked rug kit by J. Conner, because I REALLY REALLY need a new passion, right? 

Anybody out there done any rug hooking?  I can't wait to start this baby, but I'm thinking maybe I should read a book first... any suggestions?  My goal is to get it done by next year so I can buy a "big" one!

And then, what I didn't buy:
It's a good look for me, right?

Next year I'm staying for both days!

Comments

  1. oh, that hat! i secretly love it, actually. (not sure i'd have the guts to wear it out of the house...)

    i'm hoping to get to rhinebeck next year. you know, once i'm saving some money on rent by living out of town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, remarkable restraint! and I've been eyeballing rug hooking for a while now....so far successfully resisting, but it looks so totally cool!
    btw, I would have bought the hat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally rocking that hat.

    I'm kicking myself for not buying a copy of Miriam's book. Now I"ll have to wait for the next printing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could've gone with you! I REALLY want to start rug hooking and almost went for it this summer but decided to stick with knitting for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow; you're totally rockin' the sheep 'fro! Love it.

    I'm having rhinebeck regret; not sure why I didn't go this year but already all the fun reports and pics are making me sad I didn't go. next year, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just started rug hooking to use up stash and I found a book called "The Rug Hooker's Bible" which is a compilation of Jane Olson's "Rugger's Roundtable". Not sure on which internet site I found it .. but it is very complete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. next year! you'd look fetching in just about anything, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a blast!
    Hooking is really fun once you get the hang of it- I learned at a class at our local shop. It's kind of like coloring with strips of wool... I use a big hoop rather than a stand. I haven't done much lately because I can't figure out what to do with it when I am done!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should of bought the hat! And what sweater are you wearing? Its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My LYS used to have rug hooking supplies. I was frequently tempted but never actually tried it! That hat would certainly keep your ears warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all... I have to admit... I really am wishing I bought the hat, next year it is first on my list! Thinking it is plush enough to be my new winter bicycle helmet!

    Sandra- the sweater is Cascabel:
    http://nelkindesigns.com/index.cfm/page/patterns/Sweaters/Cascabel.htm Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment