Artichoke French... What is it? (And a 2019 Rhinebeck BRUNCH!)

I just found out many of you don't know that Artichoke French is a food I name knitwear after! I was first introduced to Artichoke French at New York State Sheep and Wool Festival in 2006, their booth was POPULAR, so I got in line to see what all the fuss was about!

In a nutshell Artichoke French is Artichoke Hearts made Francese style!


I'm not convinced that the Artichoke French booth will make it to Rhinebeck next weekend (they aren't always there)... so I thought a recipe was in order!

Lola's Homemade Artichoke French
(adapted from The Rhinebeck Sweater)


Ingredients
1 Can Whole Artichokes (approx. 14 ounces)
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour (I use unbleached white)
Salt, Pepper, and Paprika
1 large Eggs
1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

Toppings
(optional)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Chopped Fresh Parsley
Hot Pepper or Hot Sauce

Directions
1. Drain the artichokes well, slice in half, and pat dry.
2. In one shallow bowl mix the flour with salt, pepper, and a little paprika (I had smoked paprika to everything).
3. In a separate shallow bowl beat eggs with lemon juice.
4. One heart at a time, place the in the flour and coat, shake off excess flour, then dredge on both sides in the egg mixture.
5. Meanwhile have 1 Tablespoon of butter and the olive oil heating in a heavy frying pan.
6. When oil is hot, place artichokes in pan.  When they are browned on one side flip over and delicately squash with the backside of your spatula. 
7. When the artichokes are browned on both sides, remove to drain oil on plate lined with paper towel.
8. Place artichokes in serving dish and garnish with liberal amounts of grated Parmesan and parsley. 

Artichoke French are also SUPER yummy on beans and greens, or with a white wine sauce if you want a "richer" experience!  And if you are a hot pepper or hot sauce lover (like I am) sprinkle some on before eating!

RHINEBECK 2019 BRUNCH PARTY!

Sunday- 9:30 am- BRUNCH PARTY! (we did this in 2017 and it was SO FUN!)
 I've discovered that the best time to get Artichoke French or any other food is first thing in the morning on Sunday! The lines are short and most of the food there makes an excellent breakfast! Get to the fest before 10:30 to get some brunch and then meet us at the picnic tables at the corner of building A! Wear one of your Nelkin Designs to the party... we can try for a group photo!!!

Here's a map of the fairgrounds with our Brunch spot marked in a big red circle:

Any questions? I've set up a thread in my Ravelry group so we can all connect with each other. I'll be around the  festival most of the weekend so PLEASE do stop me and say hi... I promise I don't bite! Also, can I just say that I am great at faces, and SUCK at remembering names, so go easy on me... I will never make a good politician (which isn't a bad thing!) but I am a good hugger!

Comments