8.12.2009

Wowsers

I am still digesting, in a major way! What a fabulous weekend at Sock Summit. There aren't words for the inspiring knitters I met, great food I ate, yarn I coveted, and sights I saw.

Here are some highlights:
* "How I became a Knitter" lecture with Barbara Walker, what I learned from Barbara is that her life is a series of obsessions, and that knitting was one of them (I think she needs less sleep than I do), the woman is so amazing she has even designed her own Tarot.
* An amazing Ravelry party, Jess, Casey, Mary Heather and Sarah have a calm, fun loving dedication they bring to their project, they don't hold anything back, and are amazing appreciative, supportive, AWESOME people, I LOVE THEM! Mary Heather even wore Entomology, I'm a loser and didn't get a good pic... but I know there are some out there!

* Participating in a Guinness Book of World Records attempt for the most people knitting at one time, I think we did it, need I say more?

* GREAT FOOD, Alice (my buddy from boarding school who I stayed with) and I ate at Por Que No and Burgerville, and a yummy french brunch place with homemade croissants I forgot to get the name of!

* Shopping... I got some yarn, which I need like I need a whole in my head, but I HAD to do it: Shibui Silk Cloud in Wasabi, and a gorgeous skein of Kitchen Sink Dyeworks wool/bamboo blend in an awesome one of a kind green. (Mercedes calls her one of a kinds "odd ducks" which I love!) I also got a great bag from Splityarn which matches my yarn purchases beautifully. (I'll admit I bought the bag first and found yarn to match it.) Here's Star, myself and Caro (Miss Splityarn herself) with our matching purchases:* I talked with lots of knitters about Schaefer Yarn, and gave away TONS of samples I had on hand. This was super fun, and a great way to spend my "down" time.

* A Luminary Panel that blew my mind... one quote I remember "Busy hands are joyous hands", that must be why I knit! I was so busy soaking in all the knowledge and sage advice I forgot to take notes... so that's all you get!

* I won a raffle hosted by Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks for Doctors without Borders, and am the proud owner of an amazing barn raising quilt from the book Knitalong by Larissa Brown & Martin John Brown. I'll take pics and talk more about this later, it's an amazing piece I am honored to have.

I'm hunkering down to spend some quality time with my family and get some knitting done on deadlines that are looming scarily close, I'll be back!

5 comments:

  1. Look at you, busy, pretty lady! I'm so glad you had safe travels and a good time. I'm so jealous, and wish I could have gone. And, my goodness, you won a barn raising quilt? Could you weekend have been any better?! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edit: "Could YOUR weekend...." Sorry, you know I'm compulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, yay! We love you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! looks like a ton of fun, I'm totally jealous. glad you are back safe and hope you get some down time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura,
    You've become quite the blogger! I just love your posts. They are so entertaining and incredibley witty!

    Speaking of Sock Summit. I feel like I really missed out on some fun. Seems like everyone was there. How amazing it must have been to see Barbara Walker! It's funny that you mention her Tarot cards. I actually first heard of her way before I was a knitter, because a friend had her cards. It's amazing what she's done in her life!

    Talk to you soon! You'd better get busy dealing with those deadlines :)

    ReplyDelete