Gone and Back Again

Phew!  I'm back from a whirlwind trip to Southern Cali for TNNA.  As usual I was too busy and involved to take pics, but I'd love to share some highlights with you!

First off, I arrived on Wednesday, as I knew I'd be teaching all day on Thursday and needed a good nights sleep.  Lo and behold, when I stepped out of the shuttle at my hotel I discovered that my hotel was CRAWLING with European soccer players in town for an event. Many sharp intakes of breath later I got myself checked in, and with eyes (sorta) diverted up to my hotel room.  The next am I got up and took a much needed walk in the sunshine (something I hadn't seen alot of in upstate NY) without a jacket on... heaven, I tell ya!  Then I went and taught for the rest of the day.  My classes were superb, I had many students sign up for both of them and we became fast friends by the end of the day, I know I've said it before, but I really do LOVE teaching!  The day on Thursday ended with the best event of all... a whole evening of eating/drinking/ and talking with one of my bff's from SQUAM, Marisa of Creative Thursday.  We could have talked all night, but I had to be "good" and get rest before my big day on Friday...  can't wait to see more of her in June!

On Friday I got up early to set up the Schaefer booth, which went impressively well with the help of two of my reps, Lisa and Elaine... I don't know what I would have done without those two!  I was in done time to take a class with Jared Flood (of Brooklyn Tweed fame).  I love trying to make time to take classes when I can, it's a blast to see other people's teaching styles, and I always learn something new... and this time I def. did.  It was a class on colorwork, Jared and I decided that the way I had taught myself to do it worked just fine. I did, though, hone my skills on not twisting the yarns in the back... too bad I didn't take the class BEFORE I knit Venezia!  I look forward to hanging with him more in June at SQUAM (more on this in another blog post...).

Then it was off to Sample It! where I had skeins of Schaefer's new yarn, Audrey, for sale (we almost sold out, that yarn is like crack I tell ya!) and then to the fashion show with my Ravelry buddies where I spent the whole show in peels of (muted) laughter, I really liked some of the pieces in the show, but somehow knitwear doesn't always translate well to the runway (and that's all I'm going to say on the subject....).  I went out to dinner with a bunch of old and new friends that night: Jess, Casey, Mary-Heather, and Sarah from Ravelry, Romi Hill (my new friend and roomie for a few nights), Kristi Porter, and Anne Hanson.  It was a great meal, and quite goofy, but that's not surprising : )!

Saturday I was in the Schaefer booth all day and it was BUSY!  I showed Schaefer's Yarn and my new designs, both were incredibly well received.  I talked and talked and talked and showed and laughed and suddenly it was 6 pm and the show was over, a wonderful blur of a day!  That night I went out with the Schaefer reps, it was great to catch up with them on other things besides yarn (though of course we talked about that too!).  Sunday was a repeat of Saturday though it ended with a fabulous glass of wine by the fire pit with the Rav folks, Amanda from Lorna's Laces, Kate Gilbert from Twist Collective (that girl is a hoot, in love with her sense of humor), and Kristi.  Being able to eat and drink outside in January is reason enough to move to California, seriously... especially when it's fish tacos!

I finally made it home on Tuesday afternoon to one of the best family snuggle sessions on the couch... ginormous dog included!  I'm happily settled and ready to work again tomorrow (I think).

P.S.  The Yarn Harlot has sounded the knit signal for Haiti, please consider responding to it, I AM!


Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a great time! You're so personable and fun, I bet the knitters in your classes loved you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! sounds like so much fun and eating outside too. so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laura, need a teacher's assistant for SQUAM??? I'd love to go, but $1000 isn't in the budget this year.

    Happy New Year to you and your family and I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment