12.20.2010

Last Minute Gifting: Dulce de Leche

Need any last minute gifts? Well, I did (since we might have eaten a few too many of the caramels) and I decided to whip up some Dulce de Leche. It is scary easy, super inexpensive, and a great conversation piece, what could be better?
 
Need:
6 mini-cans Sweetened Condensed Milk 
(I found mine in the Latin American section of my grocery store.... you can also use bigger cans, the small ones were just too cute!)
A Crockpot
Paper Towel
Kraft Paper
To Make:
1.  Take the labels off all the cans.
2.  Place a few papertowels into the bottom of your crockpot.
3.  Place cans on top of the papertowel and fill with water so that they are completely immersed.
4.  Cover crock-pot and cook for 8 hours on low.
5.  Take cans out of crockpot, and let cool.
6. 
Make labels! I used kraft paper and followed Maya's directions for printing on it. Then I used my girl's sticker maker, which I secretly covet to apply them.  You could, though, use a glue stick or other strong glue!

It's that easy... go ahead, you know you want to make some "cooked cans" too!

3 comments:

  1. Errrr I've never heard of this stuff before but I'm up dor giving it a go....

    Look out shops here I come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I have to try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an awesome idea! I just saw this on pinterest and was like wow, this person must have a super cool canning machine at home :) This is way easier.

    ReplyDelete