Snacktime!!!!

Anybody else get hungry while they work?  The other day I was just minding my own business, tech editing patterns, and taking a twitter break when I stumbled upon Lizzie, DaisyJanie, and Betz chattering about roasting chickpeas... suddenly I found myself in the kitchen, can opener in hand reaching for the chickpeas.  Thirty minutes later I had Roasted Chickpeas, and then I ate them ALL!  (yes, there is danger when working from home!)

I've made them multiple times since then and just have to share with you my technique as they are an excellent healthy low-cost homemade snack! 

Mmmmmmm
1 can chick peas
Olive Oil
Salt
Seasonings (such as: cumin, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, aleppo pepper, chinese 5 spice blend)
  • Preheat oven to 425.
  • Open can of chickpeas, rinse well and pat dry!
  • Place chickpeas in a roasting dish or baking sheet with sides and drizzle with a little oil.
  • Place in oven, roast for 25 minutes, stir the chickpeas well at least three times.
  • Take out of oven, sprinkle with seasonings.  (I wouldn't use all the ideas I listed at once, but a combination of a few of them works well!)
  • Roast for 5 more minutes keeping a good eye on them.
  • Allow to cool before devouring in large handfuls!

Enjoy!  I wish I knew about these when my girl was little... they are the perfect toddler snack!

p.s. We made Maya's Golden Lentil Miso Soup the other night and these were an EXCELLENT garnish! 


Comments

  1. I've roasted chickpeas a few times, but they've always remained more chewy than crunchy. I really need to figure out how to remedy that! This weekend I think I'm going to try kale chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi- the first time I made them this happened, I started without oil and don't think I cooked them long enough. I started using more oil, and cooking until "almost" burned and that seemed to do the trick! Also, rinsing and drying well really helped! Kale chips are our fav!!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment