Video Tutorial: Garter Kitchener Stitch

I have a few patterns that use Kitchener Stitch on Garter Stitch fabric (knit every row) and it was time to make a video for you! Years ago I made an easy tutorial on Kitchener Stitch on Stockinette Stitch fabric, as you watch this you'll see the only difference is that in Garter Kitchener you are doing the same thing on both the front and back needles! Super easy!



Here are a few of my patterns that use this technique:
http://www.nelkindesigns.com/medio

As promised in the video here is the secret for Garter Lurra!
When working Garter Lurra you'll notice that the first two stitches are in Stockinette Stitch as you are slipping them on WS rows to create an I-Cord Edging. Those two stitches are worked with "regular" Kitchener and then you switch over to Garter Kitchener for the remain:
First Set Up like this:
1.  Go into 1st st on FRONT needle as if to PURL, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle.2.  Go into 1st st on BACK needle as if to KNIT, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle.
Start GRAFTING
like this:
1.  Go into 1st st on FRONT needle as if to KNIT, pull yarn up and drop st OFF needle.
2.  Go into next st on FRONT needle as if to PURL, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle.
3.  Go into 1st st on BACK needle as if to PURL, pull yarn up and drop st OFF needle.
4.  Go into next st on BACK needle as if to KNIT, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle. 
Repeat Steps 1-4 once more.
Then Graft for Garter Kitchener like this:
1.  Go into 1st st on FRONT needle as if to KNIT, pull yarn up and drop st OFF needle.
2.  Go into next st on FRONT needle as if to PURL, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle.
3.  Go into 1st st on BACK needle as if to KNIT, pull yarn up and drop st OFF needle.
4.  Go into next st on BACK needle as if to PURL, pull yarn up and leave st ON needle.
Repeat Steps 1-4 until all your stitches are grafted together!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much -- this really IS super easy, especially with your tutorial. I wish I would have found your video about a month ago. Quick question -- if you are combining garter and stockinette, as in garter stitch edges but mostly stockinette on the body of the item, do you just transition from doing garter stitch kitchener to regular kitchener? I was working on a little headband for my great niece and just did regular kitchener all the way across but was thinking about this very thing. Thanks again, Laura, this was most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think based on your secret for Garter Lurra (which I hadn't read since I don't have the pattern for it), the answer to my question above is yes. I would just do the opposite of what you did for Garter Lurra -- do garter stitch kitchener for the edge stitches and regular kitchener for the stockinette stitches. Let me know if there is anything I'm missing. I should have read your whole post. (Rolling my eyes at myself.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment