Always room for improvement!

Last month I was working with my smart smart tech editor Kate Atherley on a new summer sweater that uses the Novus construction. She asked why the schematic didn't have a measurement from the shoulder to the hem, and I was like, I don't know? It should! That is a super helpful measurement to have!
 This is Caragh, not the sweater Kate and I were working on, the black line indicates the measurement that was missing!

In the Novus Construction, the length from the shoulder to the hem (E) is just the side length (C) plus half the sleeve width (F). If you understand the construction you could figure that out on your own... but why should you when I can just plug it in!
Why is this helpful?
Let's say you have "girls"... you girls are going to pull up the fabric from the top part of the side seam and the armhole depth (half the sleeve width) making the sweater shorter. So, just determining length from the side seam isn't going to tell you how the sweater length is going to fit YOU. If you also measure from the shoulder you can take these two measurements and adjust for your body so the sweater is long enough!
You can really see an example of that in this photo... we are all wearing Caragh, and you can see that the sweater is shorter on Vicki, Helene and Demerse. If they wanted to  adjust for that in a future Caragh, they can add a bit more length to the side seam and the sleeve width after casting on for the front and back (the sleeves don't need more width).

Or, what if you want a deeper than "average" armhole? You can adjust for that with the width of the sleeve, but having that measurement in the pattern is going to make the adjustment easier to make!

So....
I am sending out updates for Pacificus, Vindur, Gola, and Caragh that include this measurement... fitting these 4 pullovers to your body will be even easier now that a new measurement has been added to the schematic!

Please feel free to ask questions, either in this blog post, or in my Ravelry group, I'm happy to help you make sure the modifications you are making work for you!

And in case you didn't know...
It is Sweater Month in the 1st Quarter KAL in my Ravelry group which means between now and Feb 28th at 12p, EST ALL my sweater patterns are BOGO! Don't miss out, I don't have pattern sales often!!!

Oh, and because a few of you might be wondering? That super secret sweater I mentioned at the top of the post? It is a collaboration with another company and should be out the first week of March!

Comments

  1. Laura, Thank you and Craftsy for the free weekend of classes. Your "knitting surgery" instruction saved my bacon today for the first time. Previously, I believed that one had to rip back to a buried error. Today I did surgery on an error 17 rows back...granted only on a condo stitch scarf...254 stitches...perfectly on the second try. What a time saver and confidence builder! You're a wonderful teacher and I am delighted to know about your blog and Etsy shop. Proof that you're never too old to learn, knitting for 60 years

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment