I knit myself a sweater... that turned into a dress!

I have this need to "clean" up languishing projects on my needles at the end of the year so I can start fresh! It may be my secret to actually getting things done! Read the story of my new tunic below...
It all started with a trip to Ireland last spring... we went to Studio Donegal, and I fell hard for this armful of Donegal Wool Spinning Company, a limited edition worsed weight yarn spun in Donegal by Studio Donegal.
Luckily I ran out of "work" knitting towards the end of my trip and was able to start it on my way home. I decided I wanted to try the Novus construction but with a new twist I thought of in a pub one night! (Them's  dangerous words right there...)

In a nutshell, my Novus construction is worked flat side to side and I wanted to try working part of it in the round. So, the top is knit flat, I just made the top part short (like a bolero) by casting on way less sts for the side seams, and then joined with side panels (as all of the other sweaters in this construction are). Then I just picked up all the way around it and worked down in the round!
Working in the round, meant I could play with color.... I did some slight a-line shaping to allow for my pear, but nothing too extreme, I wanted to the lines pretty straight.
I finished the top at some point early last summer and sat languishing in a basket until a month ago when I decided to finish it up! After all, if there is anytime I could use a knit dress, it is now! Wool Bum Warmer for the WIN! (Details on Ravelry)
Aaaannnd, I haven't decided if I am going to write this up or not. The yarn I used isn't easily available, but it is certainly a warm memory of my trip! maybe in fingering weight? With  some options for different lengths? What do you think? I'm all ears!

Comments

  1. I like it! I would wear it with a pair of leggings in a heartbeat! Oh the possibilities...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you totally should write it up. People could do sweater length or go longer. People could use gradient minis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, please, please, write it up. I'd be happy if you stuck to worsted weight to make it a faster knit. I would totally wear this with leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should write it up! It would be a great dress and a fun way to knit it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be great if you wrote up the pattern. I think it would be popular to knit! It’s not a sweater it’s different and lots can be done colour wise for yarn choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like that top! Hope you have time in your very busy schedule to write out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to news of a pattern but in the meantime, can someone please tell us about that embroidered and beaded scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW I love this sweater-tunic-dress pattern! I would buy this in a heartbeat and make a tunic with 3/4 sleeves! Hope to see it soon~! Happy New Year Laura and many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura--PLEASE write this pattern up. How about a sport instead of a fingering (although I really like the worsted weight original)--say Nua???? I can so see this in Nua---both texture and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want this pattern! But please, not fingering - I want to finish it in less than 6 months! Sport or worsted weight would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I certainly hope you write up the pattern. Worsted or DK weight would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like vertical knits and would love to see your take on incorporating sleeves because these look so good and natural. If you choose to write up, I would knit. And in gradients. Thank you. I love your sense of design

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it and would be interested in any weight of yarn. I like to work with fingering weight, but DK or worsted would work up quickly! I hope that you decide to write up the pattern.

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome... I'm working on a plan for fingering AND DK! WAHOO!

      Delete
  14. I just love the dress over jeans like you are wearing! It turned out so pretty!!! Yes, a great memory of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This type of blog is very rare. I am glad to find this kind of article which is very amazing. william jacket

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment