Reading List: 2014 Winter Survival Edition

I'm an avid reader... I LOVE to read!  Last summer I posted my first summer reading list on the blog and the response was great!  It also kept me accountable to my reading list and I'm proud to say I've read almost everything (and more) that was on there!

So, since this winter is a doozy, and I am having even more indoor time than anticipated I thought another list was in order!  It also doesn't hurt that 4 books have come out recently (by knitters who write) which are suddenly at the top of the list!

On my Shelf:
    Just Finished:
    • The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
           (haunting... and a bit of action, the main character is a HOT MESS!)
           (actually I have 50 pages left, but it will be done today, so it goes here!)
    • The Art Forger by BA Shapiro
           (read this before even knowing about Goldfinch, loved the background and research into art history and technique... and the character development)
    • Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
          (technically YA, and a love story... and I LOVED IT!)
    • Following Atticus by Tom Ryan
          (not quite sure why I kept reading and even finished this, didn't love it, but his story had me hooked all the same)
       
    Listening: 
    • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
         (A story of twin brothers and their shared history set
      at a mission hospital in Addis Ababa... the narrator's voice is STUNNING)
    • The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
         (I adored The Secret Life of Bees, and her new book has garnered rave reviews, nothing like a bit of historical fiction to help your needles fly!
    What are you reading and/or listening too?  Looking at the weather report I'm thinking I am going to make it through this list a bit more quickly than usual!  Let's help each other survive the winter entertained!

    Comments

    1. Thanks for the suggestions Laura. I read, The Invention of Wings, Art Forager, and The Goldfinch. After all that, a YA romance sounds like just the ticket. xo A

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It does sound like you are ready for some YA : )!

        Delete
    2. Great suggestions. I'll be adding several of these to my Goodreads list. Currently I'm working through the Outlander series as audiobooks since they're making a TV series from them to come our later this year. They are so damn good. I haven't read an actual book since discovering how awesome it is to listen to a book and knit or spin at the same time.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, Outlander! I read many of them years ago... so entertaining!

        Delete
    3. I'm honored to be on your list, and up there with Rachael Herron's Pack Up the Moon. It is a wonderful book!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I can't wait to read both your books! Thankyou!

        Delete
    4. MotherHen, I love Outlander too and am eagerly awaiting the series. Her books were inspiring to me when I set out to write a time travel love story.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I loved The Goldfinch, The Invention of Wings and Cutting for Stone. I'm about a quarter into
      The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert now and enjoying it. Recently finished and highly recommend: We Are Water by Wally Lamb, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for those! I've read other Anna Quindlen and really enjoyed it!

        Delete
    6. I am also a voracious reader and read both in my Kindle and listen to my Audible books through my iTouch. I have just finished ALL of Willow Rose books - I could not put them down. In fact, there were days when I didn't even knit but had to read and finish a book of hers. They are amazing. If you liked the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, you will love Willow's books. I can't even tell you why they are so good - they just are. I have The Goldfinch on my list to listen to. I am just finishing up Killing Jesus by O'Reilly - so good also. I read/listen to probably 5-6 books a week. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I discovered listening to books - not anything better than listening to a book and knitting at the same time. HOWEVER, I couldn't do that with Magpie - she needed my complete attention. LOL

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, Kathy, I'll have to check those out! How fun to know you are a big reader too! Thanks for sharing!

        Delete
    7. Thank you for all of the suggestions!!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Because of the comments about Outlander, I have started listening to the series. As a matter of fact, I am doing so as I write this comment. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment