I needed a little creative recharge this weekend (and my hands needed a break from knitting), so I decided to whip up a dress. Sometimes plans like this work, sometimes they don't, but this time, the odds were in my favor and I achieved dress success! (Did I really just write that?)
GreenStyle Creations Laurel Dress
Fabric: Liberty of London Dufour Jersey Darby Blue Multi, 63 inch wide, 1 yard
(purchased on sale this winter from fabric.com)
(I had literally NO fabric leftover and had to be pretty creative to make 1 yard work...)
- I raised the center front of the neckline by 1 inch as I got advice (thanks Betz!) that I might enjoy a bit more coverage there!
- I had just enough fabric to make it a few inches longer than the tunic length, which makes it perfect for wearing with leggings and boots. If I want to wear this without leggings I will definitely need biking shorts underneath it... : )!
- I made the cowl about 1.5 inches less deep so it wasn't quite as big. I had done this on my Renfrew with great success. I love a cowl neck, but not when they add too much bulk!
- The sleeves are about a half inch shorter than in the pattern... this wasn't on purpose, my machine ATE the fabric while I tried to do a small hem and I ended up having to turn it under one more time! WHOOPS!
- Instead of pockets in the seam, I applied over sized patch pockets, the liberty jersey is particularly drapey and light and I was worried the in-seam pockets would make the side seam hang funny! I LOVE them, and on my next one I am going to make them even bigger!