A Lucet For Knitters (with Beads!)

One of my favorite things about my Lola’s Choice kit club is the opportunity to design small, fun, and satisfying projects. I love when a unique tool or technique comes into my life and inspires me to start incorporating different ideas into my work.

Close up of lucet

This particular tool - the lucet - was first introduced to me at NYS Sheep and Wool many moons ago. I’ve held onto it in the back of my mind as a great project for Lola’s Choice. Eventually the right yarn and the right beads came together and Luceta was born.

Finished Luceta
A lucet, also known as a knitting fork, is a tool used to make a strong, square and slightly springy cord or braid. This tool has been traced back to the Vikings, who used it to create cords for use in clothing during the Medieval period.

I use two different kinds of Lucet stitches in this pattern to create a cord that doesn’t twist. Before you jump right into this project, you’re going to want to grab some scrap yarn and watch the video below.  It takes a little bit of practice to get a feel for it, but soon you’ll be making lucet cord like you’re preparing for a month at sea.

One of the things that is so great about this tool is that kids can use it too! Just grab some heavier weight yarn, and watch the video together.  In no time they’ll be teaching you how to use your own tool!

Luceta kits

Kits for Luceta (which contain perle cotton yarn, square Miyuki beads in three colors, a hammered metal ring, and an optional lucet) are back in stock in my shop. There are 5 stunning colors to choose from.

I love wearing my Luceta with tunics and summer shifts. They’re very flattering and elongating, and really spruce up a casual look. I can’t wait to see how you incorporate this design into your wardrobe!

Oh, and if you want to learn more about my small kit club Lola’s Choice, head over to my website. Lola and I have been working on some VERY exciting techniques to share with you this summer and fall!

So, what do you think? Are you in love with luceting like I am?

Comments