Weekend Sewing: SisBoom Tortola and Another Laurel in Liberty!

I'm in the middle of some BIG knitting deadlines... which means my hands needed to take breaks this weekend, so I decided to make some new clothes for SSK.  (Plus, I keep wanting to buy more fabric, but really needed to sew up what I already bought, right? I'm sure you all know what I am talking about...)
First up, I had 1 yd of Liberty of London Lawn that I got at Fancy Tiger , and when I saw the next pattern in The Road Trip Sewing Club, Sis Boom Tortola Tank, by Carla, the Scientific Seamstress I knew it was going to be perfect.  The pattern actually called for 2 yards as it's cut on the bias, but since Liberty is 57" wide I was able to get an XS out of it. (Though I did have to move to the studio, out of the kittens way, to cut my fabric.)

Then, I was a good girl and made a muslin, which is wearable, but maybe a little boring on me. So, I made a few mods: Made the shoulder straps 1/4 inch narrower, which opened up the arc of the neckline a bit, then I added in the option of the Notched neckline, which was challenging and did not come out perfectly, but I like it anyway, and finally I smoothed out the hip "bump" as it wasn't hitting me in the right place. I did decide that it's perfect with my Mudra Necklace, so I still get to wear some knitting!

My dear friend Betz is the mastermind behind The Road Trip Sewing Club... it's a super fun concept and I'm loving being on it... can't wait to see what the next pattern by Liesl Gibson is!

And next I made another Laurel Tunic, as one is not enough!  I bought 1.5 yards of Liberty Jersey (on sale) this time, so I could make both the length and the sleeves longer.  I think you'll be seeing me wearing this at workshops this fall... ALOT!  It's one of those dresses that is so comfortable that it makes you feel like you are wearing your pajamas!
Next up, after I crank out some more knitting, I am going to make another Amelie Dress, but in a knit fabric from stash. I've been wearing the one I made a surprising amount and think that if I make it in knit I can avoid having to sew in a zipper (which I didn't like that much). In case you want to see more photos of it, Ava is wearing my Amelie in the Forza Scarf photos I released last week!

So, yeah, at least I can show you my sewing right now, cause the knitting???? That's super super super secret!

Comments

  1. Love that sexy sweetheart on your tank! I once sewed a dress like that and I always love wearing it. Keep up the good sewing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely!!! That extra notched out notch is very pretty and gives it a little bit more of a dressy/sexy look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty in love with it! Already dreaming of another!

      Delete
  3. I really like the tunic and the fabric you chose for it. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great! The dress really makes me wish I felt more comfortable sewing jersey. Maybe if I ever get through my huge backlog of mending and sewing projects, I can try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Laurel... when I got the pattern, I shrugged it off because the pics on the pattern didn't do it justice the way yours is done. I am sewing a tank for my daughter this weekend I think... might lengthen it to make it a dress... Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Fashion-Costume blog are very nice ,please follow us on:- If you are looking for the widest collection of latest design shawls online, then there is a good news for you. MyDreamSarees is now offering the customers of US and Canada different types of Online Designer Shawl, Kashmiri Shawls, Pashmina Shawl, Jamalwar Shawls, and Top Evening Shawl etc. It is guaranteed that you will get the Best Wool Shawl in our website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Fashion-Costume blog are very nice ,please follow us on:- If you are looking for the widest collection of latest design shawls online, then there is a good news for you. MyDreamSarees is now offering the customers of US and Canada different types of Online Designer Shawl, Kashmiri Shawls, Pashmina Shawl, Jamalwar Shawls, and Top Evening Shawl etc. It is guaranteed that you will get the Best Wool Shawl in our website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment