Knitlandia "Book Around" and MD Sheep and Wool Festival

On this morning's hike I had an idea! (When my family hears this they know to be scared, are you scared?) 

Last night I finished reading Knitlandia by Clara Parkes, Knitlandia is a series of essays based on Clara's journey's around the globe experiencing yarn festivals, craft publishers, filming tv and workshops, knitting retreats and more. They are all about being a knitter and traveling the world from that perspective. It's an entertaining, enlightening, and quick read. In fact I made myself slow down a bit to cherish it as I knew it would be over before I was ready for it to be. A personal highlight was reading about Clara and the public pools in Iceland, I won't tell you more, as I want you to read it for yourself.. but I certainly learned a bit about what to be prepared for when I go in September.
I want this copy of Knitlandia to travel around to knitters around the globe... kinda like a Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but knitting book style!  Let's call it a "Book Around"!

Here's how it is going to work... I'm going to sign the book and start a mini journal with some thoughts about the book. While I'm at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend I'm hoping to get my copy signed by Clara. At 3:30 on Saturday we are having an informal meet up in the shade of Building 1 (see map below, all are welcome!). There is a thread in my Ravelry group if you want more info!
The first person who asks me for the book at the meet up, will get it from me. Then they'll read it, sign it, write something in the journal. Next they will send it to the first person who comments in this post, and then e-mail me with who they have sent it to (so I can keep a record, we don't want our book getting lost!).

That knitter will:
  • read it
  • sign it
  • journal a bit
  • take a photo of yourself with your book and post it in my Rav group and on social media (if you use it) with the hashtags #bookaround #knitlandia
  • send it to the next person in the comments list
  • e-mail me with details on where the book is!
Knitlandia will "Book Around" the world!
(If this works we can try it with another book in the fall)

So, all you have to do to be involved is leave a comment on this post... that will get you on the "list".
Just leave a way to get in touch with you... Ravelry ID is best! When the book is full up, or we get to the end of the list, it will get sent back to me and I'll find a way to surprise Clara with it!

Remember this is global, so don't sign up if you aren't willing to send a package overseas (it will probably cost around $10-15 to send). It's up to you if you want to send a goodie along for the person you are sending the book to as you'll be paying the postage... just don't send goodies for everyone down the line, we don't want to end up with a 100 pound box being shipped!


Also, I don't want your being on this list to stop you from reading to Knitlandia NOW... you should totally buy it to support Clara and her work, and still be part of this fun project (you can just re-read your favorite essay when it arrives at your doorstep!)

Oh, and I just had another idea... (scared yet?) 
I'm going to do a Facebook Live post from our meet-up and introduce you to a few knitters (and what they bought!). So, if you can't get to Maryland, keep an eye on my Facebook page around 3:40 and you'll see the post. If you can't watch it then Facebook Live posts can be replayed so you'll be able to view it anytime!

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, yes!! I love Clara and this book was amazing. My wonderful friend Amy got me a signed copy as a gift (she was with you at Knitters Retreat this year - she has a picture of you, Clara and Stephanie sitting on the chairs by the water. I may have swooned a bit when I saw it!) and I devoured it in about 2 days. I had to make myself slow down as well. It was like a really good dessert that you don't want to eat all in one bite! I'd love to be in on this!!! I am deedeeknits on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read it!! Maryland Sheep and Wool is on my bucket list. Hope to make it NH Sheep and Wool this weekend.

    I am dswgr6 on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a awesome idea! I would love to be in the 'loop'. I am dktrout on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this sounds like fun! Ravelry I.D, Callieknitz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to be a part of this! Sounds like fun!
    Lkgervitz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! I'd love to participate! I live in Chile, although get back to Central NY a couple times a year
    Ravelry: msnookchile

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea! Deal me in. Rav ID: ladybug59

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to read this book soon since Iceland is in my near future. Great idea of a traveling book! Carolm7323 on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Idea! Would love to participate. Melanie Murphy(melanie1275)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like so much fun! Knitters are such a wonderful group--I'm so glad I started knitting a couple of years ago and found this group :) I'd love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like great fun! Count me in please...
    Rav ID: quilterlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will see you at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival and would love to be a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome sauce! Count me in! My Rav id is Jbenecke

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read this and parts more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to read and find out about the pool in Iceland, so can have an idea of what my friends are doing, without me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaKetta you will be missed! I will soak a little extra for you.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This combines two of my favorite activities: knitting and reading! I'm in!
    Rav ID: amylyork

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to participate! I am ramonafirehorse on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like fun. I should warn you, I've been known to show Flat Stanleys and pocket people an interesting time so I've been preparing for this assignment! skristiansen on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect nothing less from you Sue!

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid you know me too well!!

      Delete
    3. We need to get back to a more professional relationship one of these days... : )!

      Delete
  21. This sounds like fun!!! JoannaKathryn on Rav :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am an avid reader. So I am so in! I'm Nyctale on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully there will be some space left! I'm in (heartwise)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would like to share in the fun! My Ravelry ID is
    DonnaRHayes

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to be part of this! My Rav ID is davenlori98

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd love to participate! I can't wait to get the book, so I ordered my own copy and then will comment on my favorite essay. It sounds like a wonderful read. Ravelry ID: DebbyKnits2

    ReplyDelete
  27. Laura I'm amazed how you come up with these great ideas. Would love to join in. Will be there at the MD show; hope to meet you. -Gin Gin aka Snoopy25 in Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  28. Books and knitting are my favorite things - books about knitting: double the pleasure!

    Ravelry ID: knitter5319

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cool Beans, Laura! I'm so in!!
    Rav- IrishPogue
    IG- irishpogue

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun idea! I love that it will get passed to the 1st person at MD Sheep & Wool.

    KnitFoolDeirdre on Rav

    ReplyDelete
  31. That sounds like tons of fun and is such a lovely idea! I'm in.
    Ravelry: catandraven

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is an amazing idea! So much fun. I'd love to be involved.
    lesatustin on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a fun idea! I can see the book traveling around and around and around and never quite making it back to you!

    Count me in. I'm jentm on ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea! I would love to participate. lmport ( small L ) on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This sounds like so much fun. Rav ID hehl

    ReplyDelete
  36. Count me in! Sietsma on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It may take a while, but I'd love to get in this.
    Ravelry: BarbaraSC

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would love to be a part of this....even tho I'm rather late to the party!
    Thanks for doing this Laura.
    Rav id: Judyinthedyes

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fun idea! I am in. Wonder how long it will be before the book returns home to Laura. Rav ID: dmbellantone

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh wow, I am way down the list already! Definitely want to be part of the fun. I am stlwatrs on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh I would love to be in on this!!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Count me in. Ravelry id is dgreen126. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sounds like such a neat adventure. I'm Highlights on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sounds like such a neat adventure. I'm Highlights on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this idea. I can't wait to be a part of the adventure. I am rxknitchic on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  48. Sounds fun, debluvs2knit.on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  49. This sounds lots of fun!!! Of course I'm in!!! (I'm pajara ion Ravelry) can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This sounds like a great idea. I would love to be part of the fun.
    Rav ID: stitchalong

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm in, if there is still room and/or time this far in the list! Laura you always have such great ideas. Off to look for a personal copy...
    Twosaners on Rav

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a great idea, I would love to be part of this adventure. Rav ID amandainluanda

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a great idea!! I hope there's still room for me. rkohlman on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  54. A bit late in the game, but I'm in!! Ravelry ID lilafreckle

    ReplyDelete
  55. I sent the book along to DeeDee this morning. She should have it Tuesday. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  56. If the book would like to see Oz (Australia), just let me know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. My son took Flat Stanley to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival in, I believe it was, 2010...so this would be "Mom's" chance, so to speak.
    On Ravelry I'm known as lldramrpd

    ReplyDelete
  58. My son took Flat Stanley to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival in, I believe it was, 2010...so this would be "Mom's" chance, so to speak.
    On Ravelry I'm known as lldramrpd

    ReplyDelete
  59. Please count me in! This is so intriguing!
    RavID: StarKytten

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a cool idea Laura!
    I´d love to get the book sometime over here in Germany and read the journal and the book and see where it has been already!
    Please sign me up! Lakshmi07

    ReplyDelete
  61. I would love to read this,is Australia to far to send it to

    ReplyDelete
  62. I would love to be added to list especially since just returning from Iceland! RavID - margarete2000

    ReplyDelete
  63. Is it to late to add my name to the list. Ravelry genies003.

    ReplyDelete
  64. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I was up there in May but changed my Rav id so I may have missed my turn...can I get back on the list? Donna1504

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi! Is the book still going around? I missed my chance way back when, but would like to throw my name back into the mix: Ravelry: msnookchile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely still going around...and still has a long way to go! Check out the 'Knitlandia Book Around' thread on Laura's Ravelry group page and compare with the comments above. It is with 'jbenecke' at the moment I believe.

      Delete
  67. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Late on the list but happy to be added to this long list!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. I’d love to be added to the list :)
    Rav: Grrrebecca

    ReplyDelete
  70. I'd love to read along too, lindseymac ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  71. Can you still sign up? I’d love to! Meags816

    ReplyDelete
  72. I would love to be a part of this...
    Rav ID: natbug

    ReplyDelete
  73. I would love to join! ravelry id: Hiker24

    ReplyDelete
  74. I would love to join this, my Ravelry id is alro

    ReplyDelete
  75. Count me in! Ravelry ID: BakingPan

    ReplyDelete
  76. I am interested in having a turn at reading the book, and passing it along to the next person. Rav i.d. fivenobles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment