Life Cycle Shawl

Alright everyone, ready to hear more about Life Cycle the lace shawl I designed for my latest class with Craftsy? The samples arrived home yesterday and we headed out for a COLD (and fun) shoot!
Life Cycle
Life Cycle is a Center Out Lace Square that is designed to be knit either in lace or fingering weight yarn.  I knit the larger size in Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in Treacle Toffee, a yummy wool/silk blend and the smaller size as a baby blanket with Spud and Chloe Fine in Popcorn.

Life Cycle

The class takes you through each section of this project, teaching you the skills you'll need to be able to work this heirloom piece of lace. Worked from the center out over a small number of stitches I teach working a circular cast on (both on double pointed needles, and on magic loop), and then jump right into chart reading, Nupps, and advanced decreases.  I cover life lines, lace chart tips and tricks (written instructions are included as well), yarn and needle choices, fixing mistakes, in depth blocking, and more!

A diagram of LifeCycle's construction... to see closeup's of each stitch go here.
Life Cycle
The stitches in Life Cycle are designed to get increasingly more interesting as the project grows on your needles!
Life Cycle
You work the same chart 4 times around for each section which helps you grow more and more familiar with each stitch... a great way to learn to knit more complicated lace!
Life Cycle
Finally an edging is worked, perpendicularly to the body of the shawl, binding off your stitches and adding greater detail to the edge at the same time!
So, if you want to learn how to knit this shawl and discover lots of tips and tricks for working a large lace project like Life Cycle check out my newest class with Craftsy, Lace From the Inside Out!

Comments

  1. You just have the MOST interesting designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I am looking forward to knitting this.
    Donna Hayes

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant and imaginative design! Beautiful symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize when I signed up for this class that I'd already signed up for your first class also: Mastering Lace Shawls. Well, since I hadn't taken the time to do THAT class yet, I figured I should do it before tackling this one. I'm well into Skywalker now and have only had one problem, when I didn't count stitches in one row, my count got off, and then I had to un-knit four rows. It looks great so far, and I love the format of your classes--and I've learned a few things, even though I consider myself an intermediate knitter. I do like the landscape instructions better for Skywalker. I'm making it out of Lamb's Pride Superwash Sport in Blueberry Sorbet. I had planned on using an alpaca/silk lace weight yarn, but I love the color of this yarn and now that I'm into the shawl, doing lace weight would have been a trial my first time out. Thanks again for your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a beautiful shawl! And craftsy is such a fun site, I've bought a couple classes and they are really thorough. Although I do wish you could download them to work offline, for things like flights, etc. Your shawl is no doubt a popular one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment